20 Frequently Prescribed Medication By Dentists
We are well aware of the variety of diseases involving the oral cavity, but the good part is that there are also a number of drugs that help you fight the disease!
Dentists or dental professionals prescribe medications depending on the condition – certain medicines are prescribed to prevent or treat infection, reduce pain and inflammation, relieve anxiety, teeth cleaning and whitening or bacterial infection treatment and more.
Which are the most common or frequently prescribed medications by dentists?
Keep in mind to inform your dentists about any health conditions you may have (especially any kidney ailments or liver problems or any disease of the nervous system. Also, if you are pregnant or breastfeeding). Your dentist will also make sure to provide you with all the information about a particular medicine s/he prescribes.
The dose and instructions on how to take these medications will differ from patient to patient, depending on the condition, the patient’s age, weight, and other considerations.
PLEASE NOTE: REFRAIN FROM SELF MEDICATING ANY OF THESE DRUGS.
Here are the 20 frequently prescribed medications by dentists
- Pan D 40 Mg : This capsule is generally prescribed to treat gastric disorders – Heavy Bloating, gas, heartburn, indigestion. Pan D is prescribed by dentists in cases of esophageal thrush or GERD. A pattern of enamel loss especially at the back of the teeth can indicate that you have GERD ( Stomach acid eats away at the enamel on your teeth).
- Amox 500 mg: Amoxicillin is prescribed to treat a variety of oral bacterial infections – Dental abscess, ulcerative gingivitis and pericoronitis. It also relieves pain.
- Doxy 1: Doxycycline is an antibiotic and is a combination medicine that is used to treat various types of bacterial infections. It puts a stop to the growth of the microorganisms that cause the infection. It is typically prescribed for serious infections. Doxycycline is also prescribed to patients suffering from gum disease – It can help prevent the breakdown of gum tissue and help with the reduction of gum pockets. Doxycycline should only be taken if your dentist has prescribed it to you.
- Metrogyl 400 mg: Metrogyl 400 is an antibiotic that helps our body fight infections caused by bacteria and parasites – Dental infections and oral sores, for example. It is mostly prescribed after surgery to prevent an infection.
- Augmentin duo 625 mg: Augmentin 625 Duo Tablet is a penicillin-type of antibiotic that helps your body fight infections caused by bacteria. It is used to treat any infection arising from the tooth.
- Novamox CV 625 mg: Novamox CV 625mg Tablet is a penicillin-type of antibiotic. Again this tablet helps your body fight infections caused by bacteria. Novamox CV 625mg Tablet contains two different medicines, Amoxycillin and Clavulanic Acid, they work together to kill the bacteria that cause infections. This is a very common medication prescribed by dental professionals for any dental infections.
- Ketorol DT: Ketorol-DT Tablet is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID). It is used for short-term relief of pain, inflammation, and swelling. Mostly prescribed after a root canal treatment to avoid infection, inflammation, pain and swelling.
- Dolo 650 mg: Dolo 650 Tablet is a medicine used to relieve pain and reduce fever. It is used to treat many conditions such as headaches, body aches, and the common cold. Also used by dental professionals to reduce toothaches. It works by blocking chemical messengers in the brain that tell us we have pain.
- Powergesic MR: Powergesic MR is used to relieve pain, inflammation, and swelling in conditions that affect muscles. It contains a combination of three medicines diclofenac, paracetamol and chlorzoxazone. It is used for the treatment of painful muscle spasms associated with musculoskeletal conditions. Additionally, it also reduces pain arising from decayed or diseased teeth.
- Chymoral forte: Chymoral Forte is a medicine used in the treatment of pain and inflammation of the teeth and gums. This is mostly prescribed in conditions like a toothache.
- Limcee 500 mg: Limcee 500 mg Chewable Orange Tablet which is treated as a nutritional supplement to prevent and treat nutritional deficiencies and vitamin C deficiency. Vitamin C is not only good for your teeth; it’s an excellent vitamin for gums, too. Vitamin C helps keep the connective tissues in the gums healthy and strong, which hold the teeth in place. Deficiencies of Vitamin C can lead to bleeding gums and gum disease.
- Tolpa D: Tolpa D Tablet is used to reduce pain and inflammation. Mostly prescribed in cases of dental pain due to damage from the tooth nerve, infection, decay, extraction, or trauma.
- Clohex mouth wash: Clohex mouthwash kills the harmful microorganisms in the oral cavity that causes swollen gums, and tartar also prevents bad oral odour. It is used in the treatment of inflammation of gums. Gargle for 30 seconds to 1 minute and spit it out or use as directed by the dentist. Do not swallow. You must avoid eating, drinking, or smoking for at least 1 hour after rinsing.
- Metrogyl DG Gel: Metrogyl DG Gel is a combination of two medicines – Chlorhexidine Gluconate and Metronidazole. It is used in the treatment of mouth infections such as dental plaque, and bacteria. It prevents the growth of bacteria and helps in the speedy healing of the infection. After brushing your teeth, rinse as usual and apply a thin line of this medication to your teeth with a mouth tray. Leave the medication on for at least 40 secs to 1 minute. It should not be used in excess. This medicine is safe but it may cause a bitter taste and lead to teeth staining if used for a longer duration. Also, avoid swallowing.
- Metrogyl plus Gel: Metrogyl Plus Gel is an antibiotic medicine that helps treat bacterial and parasitic infections.
- Gum tone: Gum tone is an Ayurvedic tooth gel that tightens gums and stops gum bleeding. It contains herbs like Babul and Khadir which fight germs and prevent the formation of cavities and dental plaques. Babul helps in reducing yellow teeth stains. Additionally, it offers a long-lasting natural fresh breath. This gel is recommended in diabetic patients who are inclined to develop gingivitis.
- GC tooth mousse plus: GC Tooth Mousse Plus Paste contains a protein named Recaldent™. It contains calcium and phosphate which helps strengthen tooth enamel, reduce sensitivity, and strengthen roots. This paste with RECALDENT (CPP-ACP) has a proven clinical success record for patients with increased caries risk and white spot lesions. Do not mistake it for toothpaste; it is a tooth cream or paste that must be used as prescribed.
- Remin pro: Medicines come in flavours too! This is one of them. Remin Pro is a water-based cream that contains hydroxyapatite and fluoride and is available in melon, strawberry and mint flavours. Remin Pro is known to provide extra protection for teeth and helps to neutralize acids from acid-forming bacteria in plaque. It is also prescribed and used, after teeth whitening treatment, after professional tooth cleaning and during orthodontic treatment.
- Vantej toothpaste: A toothpaste that helps reduce tooth sensitivity, makes the enamel harder or strengthens the enamel and prevents dental cavities. It also has a refreshing mint flavour that keeps bad odour at bay.
- Curaprox toothpaste: A charcoal toothpaste that gently whitens the teeth. This whitening toothpaste removes discolouration using activated carbon without abrading or bleaching. It also contains fluoride and strengthens oral health. The toothpaste also protects against tooth decay and supports salivary functions. Consult with your dental hygienist to check if it can be used as regular toothpaste. Every dental ailment has a solution if diagnosed early. It is important to always communicate all dental signs and symptoms to your dentist, so that appropriate treatment and medications are prescribed.
Do not consume any medication without the attention of your dentist. For all your dental needs and concerns, we are here – One of the leading dental clinics in Bangalore.